Support Available from UoB

What you should know about Personal Academic Tutors
Personal Academic Tutors (PATs) are members of academic staff that provide students with support and guidance on several topics related to their academic experience and is there to ensure all students are listened to, responded to, and given clear guidance and support on all matters of their academic experience.    The University have a student guide on PATs (attached), but we have broken down some of the key points below to outline what you should expect from your PAT. If you have feedback on your PAT experience, good or bad, do let us know by using one of our 3 feedback mechanisms: Talk to your Rep, Feedback Online or Attend a Meeting.    Who’s your PAT? You should be able to see who your PAT is on e-vision Your PAT should be assigned within 2 weeks of you starting your academic year Your PAT may change year on year You’ll have a PAT if you are an undergraduate and postgraduate student studying on a course carrying 60 academic credits or more in one academic year.   P...
Tue, 30 Nov, 2021 at 3:30 PM
How will my Degree be calculated/graded?
For most undergraduate degrees at Beds, your final degree will be calculated using the BEST of two different calculations. To clarify: Your degree could be calculated using the marks you got in your final year only (Calculation 1) Your degree could be calculated using a combination of the marks you got in your last year and your second last year (Calculation 2) Your final degree classification will be based on the BEST overall grade determined by these two calculations (So, your final degree will either be Calculation 1 OR Calculation 2) Calculation 1 Explained Your degree will be based on marks from the best 90 credits taken in your final year – including at least 30 credits from your final year project or dissertation An academic year is normally 120 credits, and your degree will be based on the best 90 credits So, say you took four modules worth 30 credits each in final year, and scored 63, 65, 72, 75. The best 90 credits would be 65, 72, 75, and your final degree clas...
Thu, 31 Mar, 2022 at 5:16 PM
Assessment Feedback: What am I entitled to?
Getting timely and useful feedback on academic work is an important part of university for many students, as it can help them identify key areas to improve on in future exams and assessments.    However, many students are unaware that they should be getting a minimum standard of quality from the university when it comes to receiving feedback on their work.    So, Beds SU have put together a list of what every Beds student is entitled to when it comes to feedback. This information is specified in official university policy documents such as the UoB Quality Handbook – but we’ve read it and summarized it here, so you don’t have to!    1. Feedback within specified timeframes Students are entitled to receive feedback within specified timeframes, but these are slightly different depending on your level and mode of study. For example: If you are in Foundation Year, First Year, or Second Year of an Undergraduate degree, or if you are studying for a Master’s degree, then you should...
Thu, 31 Mar, 2022 at 5:19 PM
University of Bedfordshire Laptop Loan Scheme
If you need to borrow a laptop, you'll need to satisfy the criteria and complete a form. To find out what the criteria is and to download the form, head to the University of Bedfordshire website.
Mon, 4 Jul, 2022 at 1:42 PM
University of Bedfordshire Bursary and Scholarship 2022/23
If there’s one thing that concerns most students, it’s the idea of debt and how to cover the cost of university. However, for you it need not be a worry. The University of Bedfordshire offers a wide range of scholarships and bursaries to support your studies and that’s cash that you don’t need to pay back. To find out more, go to the University of Bedfordshire website.
Mon, 4 Jul, 2022 at 1:44 PM
Financial help available from the Access to Learning Fund
If you get into financial difficulties while studying, help is available from the Access to Learning Fund (ALF). Any awards are subject to available funding. This provides extra money if you need help for your course or to stay in higher education. It can also provide help if you are on a low income or suffering financial hardship. The fund can be used for course and living costs that are not met by other grants, for emergency payments to cover financial crises, or to help you if you are thinking of giving up your course because of financial difficulties. To find out more, go to the University of Bedfordshire website.
Mon, 4 Jul, 2022 at 1:45 PM